General Installation Procedure
Some users have had trouble with corrupted installations eg failed DVD burning because of conflicts with Antivirus software during the installation process.
For special notes about installing MEP 14, read this.
A recommended installation method, supplied by Junktodevnull from the forum, is:
- disable your network card (or unplug
- disable your antivirus protection
- install (or
uninstall/reinstall; tips here)
- re-enable antivirus
- re-enable network card (or
plug back cable)
After you have done that:
- For MEP 10 and earlier, Install the "Ligos Splitter Patch". If you have an AMD 64 system, install the "Ligos Encoder Update"; also install the "Ligos Codec for Windows XP Servicepack 1" codec update (this is applicable for XP SP 2 as well),
- Install the latest program patches for your version of MEP:
- MEP 2004 (3.0.X): There is currently one patch available for MEP 2004 from the UK and USA Magix websites. But, it is called the 3.0.3 patch. The problem is that many copies of MEP 2004 are already at the 3.0.3 version status. So even if Help>About... says your version is 3.0.3, apply the patch that is on the website to fix DVD Menu and pixellation problems.
- MEP 2005 : 2 available on the Magix UK website to take the program to version 184.108.40.206 (doesn't fix the 48khz DV-AVI export problem though, despite what it says...).
- MEP 10: Original: 4.5.3; Latest Patch 4.5.4.
- MEP 10 Plus: Original: 220.127.116.11; Latest Patch 18.104.22.168: Patch available on the Magix UK website to take the version to 22.214.171.124. There have been reports that the patch causes problems: read this for details. However, I have not had any problems burning DVDs with the patch applied.
- MEP 11 US: Original 126.96.36.199; Latest Patch 188.8.131.52: Patch available on the Magix USA website.
- MEP 11 UK: Original ?; Latest Patch 184.108.40.206: Patch available on the Magix UK website.
- MEP 11 PLUS: Original 220.127.116.11, Latest Patch 18.104.22.168; Patch available on the UK website.
- MEP 12 US: Original 22.214.171.124, Latest patch 126.96.36.199 (MPEG 4-Activation fixed, DVD-Layouts
adapted, Progress-bar for burning fixed). Patch available on the Magix USA website.
- MEP 14 Plus Boxed (UK and possibly Canada) Original 188.8.131.52. No patches issued.
- MEP 14 Plus Boxed US original 184.108.40.206 (and in one case 220.127.116.11). Latest patch 18.104.22.168. From Magix: "This patch fixes NTSC Problem solved in AVI-Export and various problems in dialog 'Image size and position' solved". However, it has introduced a bug where any text changes made to the DVD Chapter menus are not saved. Patch available on the Magix USA Support site.
- MEP 14/14 Plus E-version Worldwide: Original version 22.214.171.124, patch to 126.96.36.199, latest patch 188.8.131.52
- MEP 15/15Plus Download version Worldwide: Original 184.108.40.206 (C2). Latest patch 220.127.116.11 (C2). Patch details for Plus version here.
- MEP 15/15 Plus Boxed version Worldwide: Original 18.104.22.168. (C1). Latest patch 22.214.171.124 (C2). Patch details for Plus version here.
- MEP 16/16 Plus Boxed version worldwide: Original 126.96.36.199 (C1). Latest patch 188.8.131.52 (C1).
- MEP 17/17 Plus Boxed version worldwide: Original 10.0.0.33, Latest Patch 10.0.10.2.
To get the patches:
First, try the Online Update system (not available on very early versions). Click on Help>Online Update.
If that doesn't work go to
the Magix Support Site (you must be logged in and your product registered with Magix to download any patches) and follow the Download link.
- Update your Burn Routines
- Ligos Encoder Update for AMD 64 systems available in the TOOLS section. If you have trouble applying the patch ie if it stops at this message: "the following Magix Products will be updated", then uninstall MEP and reinstall and then apply the patch again.
- Windows XP Ligos Indeo codec reset patch tool.
There are other tools available, including one to remove all traces of the program during uninstallation.
back to MEP Tips and Tricks